Do you know Kratom’s shelf life and how long it stays fresh? Finding this out is relatively easy as long as you have some knowledge about this botanical. Several factors determine the shelf life of the leaves. The exact information about this product can be obtained through a little bit of online research.
However, most Mitragyna users are not aware of the shelf life of this supplement. This common misconception has led many people to want to know how long they can store their supplements. People will take a few steps back and consider whether they should even attempt to extend Kratom’s shelf life.
Before you do, it is best to understand the information below. Failure to store this remedial herb properly can ruin it, and all you’ll smell or taste (with little luck) is rottenness!
What Is Kratom Shelf Life?
The shelf life is when a product can be stored or used before decomposing. The manufacturers must put an expiration date so that users can determine how long they can use that product without the likelihood of getting side effects.
Like other consumable products, Mitragyna also has a shelf life. Usually, Kratom’s shelf life depends significantly on the quality of the raw material. The highest quality Kratom can stay fresh for two to three years without extraordinary measures.
Moreover, you can use Kratom past its expiration date, but don’t expect it to be as potent as before. Once the shelf life ends, the alkaloids responsible for the Kratom’s effects start to lose their structure resulting in reduced potency.
Can Expired Kratom Cause Adverse Reaction?
According to anecdotal references, expired Mitragyna doesn’t produce severe damaging side effects on the body and only loses its purity and benefits. However, even if there are a million chances that expired Kratom can lower your immunity and cause problems, it is advised that you should avoid using the Kratom product that is past the expiry date to avoid any unnecessary side effects.
Indications That Your Kratom Has Gone Bad
It is easy to determine if the strain you are using is past its due date because all authentic vendors label their Kratom products with an expiry date. Moreover, you should also look out for specific indicators to check if the batch you are consuming is still at its peak quality and freshness. Because even properly conserved products can sometimes lose their traits and show signs of deterioration. Order Kratom Online from trustworthy vendors.
The change in the color of a batch you are consuming is the primary indicator if the product is still consumable or not. Usually, the color of Kratom is dark herbal green; if it changes to brown or differs from the one you bought, it is best to discard it.
Secondly, if the texture of the powder has changed or it has formed lumps in it, it is probably best to guess that the product has lost its freshness.
A fresh batch of Kratom powder has a pleasant sweet earthy aroma with a hint of pungent. If it is altered, the smell of the powder is another evidence that it has gone bad and is not up to the mark for further consumption.
One day, if you take your Kratom dose and feel like it tastes different, you should check your batch thoroughly. There is a high chance that it is not consumable anymore and should be thrown away as soon as possible, or someone will use it unknowingly.
Factors That Shorten Kratom Shelf Life
Now you must have been thinking, what causes my Kratom to go wrong?
Luckily, we are here to help you in this regard. Kratom shelf life is affected by many environmental factors, including:
- When storing your Kratom powder, ensure it doesn’t come in contact with any liquid and avoids high humidity levels. Humidity is what causes fungal growth and lumps in powder. It can ruin an entire batch of powders.
- Excessive heat can cause organic products to deteriorate, reducing their shelf life. It can also destroy the valuable properties of Kratom powder by causing it to lose its color, smell, and taste.
- Mitragyna powder tends to lose its potency when exposed to oxygen. The powder loses some beneficial properties when it starts oxidizing and significantly drops in potency.
- Grounded Kratom leaves are a breeding ground for fungus and mold if it comes in contact with any pathogen exposure. It can ruin an entire batch.
How Can You Extend Kratom Shelf Life?
Most of you must be thinking if you can do anything to prevent the problems mentioned above. Don’t worry because the solution to this is straightforward and manageable. You have to follow certain practices, and you can not only prevent your product’s early deterioration but also increase its shelf life by up to six months.
- Be sure to store your Mitragyna powder in a cool and dry place. Also, avoid touching it with your fingers.
- When storing Kratom powder, it’s important not to let any moisture and any other liquid get on the product at all times.
- If Kratom powder comes in contact with open air for a more extended period, it’s ruined. Therefore, store this herbal powder in an airtight container, keeping it fresh for a long time.
- Always buy from a reputable kratom vendor to get guaranteed quality that can stay fresh for extended periods.
- While storing, choose spots with low humidity to increase your chances of having a long shelf life for Kratom.
- To keep your Kratom safe during storage, choose opaque containers and leave them in a spot that receives little to no light.
The shelf life of a substance mainly depends on how you store it. Herbs like Kratom are often stored incorrectly, resulting in botanical deterioration as it sits on the shelf for a longer period.
Whether you buy Kratom online or via local head shops near me, storage is the key to preventing it from damaging. As long as you store the product responsibly by keeping do’s and don’ts in mind, your herbal powder will stay fresh and retain its potency longer than you expect.